Thursday, June 9, 2016

Mount Marathon Seward Alaska July 4th by Robert Swetz


July 7th 2001 when I first went on vacation to Alaska I flew in from Minnesota to Anchorage, rented a car and in 7 days drove approx. 1500 miles.
In that 7 days I drove from Anchorage to Fairbanks which is approx. 360 miles times 2 = 720 miles. Then I drove from Anchorage to Homer which is 218 miles one way times 2 = 436 miles. Then I drove from Homer to Seward, and from Seward to Anchorage is 121 miles. So the grand total of miles would be 1,277 miles and another 200 miscellaneous would be just under 1500.
On my first visit to Seward in 2001 I noticed banners in town over main street with the words MOUNT MARATHON July 4th. So I asked some locals about the Mount Marathon signs in town and they mentioned that every July 4th there is a running marathon that turns into a mountain climb. So while I was in Seward in in 2014 I took a short video of a huge sign that explains the marathon and also some video footage from the top of the mountain the runners climb.

Robert Swetz Seward Alaska 

No comments:

Post a Comment