Mission San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo (Carmel Misson)
Mission San Carlos Borromeo del río Carmelo, also known as the Carmel Mission or Mission Carmel, is a Roman Cathlic mission church in Carmel-by-the-Sea California
The mission was the headquarter of the Alta California missions headed by Saint Junipero Serra from 1770 until his death in 1784.
The mission buildings and lands were secularized by the Mexican government in 1833, and had fallen into disrepair by the mid-19th century. They were partially restored beginning in 1884.
In 1886 it was transferred from the Franciscans to the local diocese and has continued as a parish church since then. It is the only one of the California Missions to have its original bell tower dome.
The Carmel Mission was in ruins when the Roman Catholic Church regained control of the mission building and the land in 1863. In 1884 Father Angel Casanova began to restore the mission building. In 1931 Monsignor Philip Scher appointed Harry Downie as the curator in charge of mission restoration.
All Photographs taken by Robert Swetz 11/13/2016